About me

About me
🌿 I've been gardening ever since a child, when I spent time with my father in his vegetable garden. But my fascination with Echeverias started in the 1980's, when my father gave me a pot with five Echeverias, which turned out to be E. imbricata. At first I wasn't much interested in them and planted them in some obscure corner of the garden and completely forgot about them. How great was my surprise when, a couple of months later, I noticed that they had spread and made a beautiful display - I was hooked!

Wednesday 9 July 2014

Winterizing succulents


Every Autumn I get most of my succulents ready to come indoors by gradually decreasing the amount of water they receive and as it gets colder, when temperatures reach about 5℃, I bring them inside. Even though both the Crassula and Aeoniums in this pot can withstand a fair amount of cold, I’d hate to lose them, so rather safe than sorry!

Crassula imperialis (the spidery one on the left) prefer very porous soil, and it is preferable to drench them well and allow the soil to dry somewhat between waterings. They enjoy cool summer conditions, good light, and good air circulation. High heat in the summer, when they are dormant, will often cause lower leaves (those tiny little dots are leaves!) to drop. Crassula need winter warmth and will sit and sulk if kept damp and cold. Crassula is easily propagated by just breaking off a piece and sticking it into the soil and before long you will be rewarded by a lovely, spreading little plant.

Aeonium (tree houseleek – (on the right) is a genus of about 35 species of succulent, subtropical plants of the family Crassulaceae. The name comes from the ancient Greek “aionos” (ageless). While most of them are native to the Canary Islands, some are found in Madeira, Morocco, and in East Africa (for example in the Semien Mountains of Ethiopia).

The rosette leaves are on a basal stem. Low-growing Aeonium species are A. tabuliforme and A. smithii; large species include A. arboreum, A. valverdense and A. holochrysum.
Aeonium are not frost-resistant. They are related to the genera Sempervivum, Aichryson and Monanthes, which is easy to see from their similar flower and inflorescences. Recently, the genus Greenovia has been placed within Aeonium.

 These Aeoniums in a pot spend the summer outside and then also come inside for the winter

::


.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...